|Course Length:||3 years (Staffordshire University )|
|Tuition Fees:||Ghanaian Students: GH¢5,500 per Semester|
|International Students: £1,500 per Semester|
Summary Computing is a broad subject. With this programme from Staffordshire University you can study Enterprise Application Development, Professional Computing, Emerging Technologies, and Fundamentals of Computing & Mathematics. This degree is unique, in that it enables one to put together their personalized programme of study from the vast variety of the programmes we offer
Course Content In the first year students will acquire a firm foundation in computing subjects such as
- Fundamentals of Computing & Mathematics
- Introduction to Software Development
- Skills for Computing Professionals
- Application Modelling
Some of the following modules will be on offer in level 200 and 300
- Option Module
- Enterprise Application Development
- Professional Computing
- Emerging Technologies
- Specific Option Module
The following categories of students are considered for admission:
- Holders of SSSCE/WASSCE with credit passes in Core English, Core Mathematics, Integrated Science and three (3) elective subjects relevant to the chosen programme with aggregate 24/36 or better.
- ‘O’ Level / ‘A’ Level holders with credits in at least five (5) subjects at the GCE ‘O’ Level (or its equivalent) including English and Mathematics, plus at least two (2) passes in the relevant subjects at the advanced level.
- Mature Applicants
- ‘O’ Level / ‘A’ Level applicants who have attained the age of 25 years or above at the time of applying and have credits in five (5) GCE ‘O’ Level subjects including English Language and Mathematics in addition to passing an Entrance Examination or interview.
- SSSCE / WASSCE who have credits in three (3) core subjects including English, Mathematics, Integrated Science plus three (3) electives relevant to the chosen programme.
- International Baccalaureate (IB) / Diploma
- Advanced Business Certificate Examination (ABCE) holders with passes in three (3) compulsory plus optional subjects relevant to the programme of study.
- Applicants with stage 1 of ACCA, ICA, Associates of Chartered Institute of Bankers (ACIB), Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) with credits at GBCE or GCE ‘O’ Level including English language and Mathematics.
- American Grade 12
- Foreign Applicants and all others who have any of the above qualifications or their equivalent from an accredited/recognized institution.
- City and Guilds Technician Diploma/Advanced Diploma in relevant area of study.
Offline Application Procedure
Application forms for admission could be obtained at the GTUC Information Centre, Tesano – Accra, the Kumasi Campus near Ahodwo roundabout, Koforidua Campus Charley Junction, Ho Learning Centre, Vodafone Regional Head Office, Takoradi Learning Centre, Vodafone Regional Office and at our website www.gtuc.edu.gh here.
Applicants should please note that application submitted will not be processed until the cost of application form of GH¢120.00 is settled with banker’s draft from any bank.
Completed application forms with certified copies of Certificates / result slips should be submitted to the admissions offices before the closing date.
Online Application Procedure
- Purchase a voucher nationwide at Ghana Commercial Bank (GCB) at GH120.00 through the SMART _ PAY platformVisit GTUC website: www.gtuc.edu.gh and click on online application
- Enter the Serial Number and Pin on the voucher
- Complete application form, scan and attach your passport sized photograph and relevant documents
- Print a copy of the completed form and submit to GTUC Admissions Office
You can also obtain a hard copy of the Application Form from our various campuses (Remember to attach your passport sized photograph)
NOTE: Applicants with statement of results from West African Examination Council (WAEC) must add WAEC SCRATCH card(s) to their application form depending on the number of sittings
Possible Options (may vary based on demand)
- Web Concepts
- Web and Mobile Application Development
- Engineering Software Applications
- Object-Oriented Application Engineering
- Programming with HTML APIs
- Visual Web Design
- Digital Media and the Web
- Engineering Enterprise Applications
- Enterprise Web Applications
- Real World Web Design
- Enterprise Data
- Mobile Application Development
- Engineering and Integrating Robust Large Scale Systems
- Distributed Web Applications
In level 300, the final year, you can choose your modules covering advanced computing topics. Students will also take a dissertation or project which could include developing a computer system to provide a solution to a real-world problem in an area of their interest.
Teaching & Learning Students will study computing fundamentals, practical and theoretical, in the first year. They will then progress to the study of advanced concepts and acquire complex technical skills in second and final years of their degree. A wide variety of different teaching and learning strategies are adopted. In addition to lectures there are theory based tutorials, student-led seminars and presentations. Most teaching is done in labs and some approaches used include demonstration, group exercise and pair working even though independent learning is encouraged throughout the degree. In the final year, students are required to find a problem that needs a computing solution, this will be their project and they will complete a full project cycle which will include background research.
What are the prospects for this programme ?
The main aim of the degree is to give students theoretical and technical knowledge they need to excel in computing and also to make sure students have the necessary softer skills. Professional Enterprise Development module prepares students in the employment processes and organizational issues.
Which institute issues out the certificate GTUC or Staffordshire?
Degree (Certificate) is given by Staffordshire University, UK
Is the programme accredited?
The degree is accredited by the British Computing Society (BCS) and by the Institute for the Management of Information Systems (IMIS)
Is the programme accredited?
The degree is also accredited by the National Accreditation Board, Ghana
Is the certificate internationally recognised ?
Yes, you also gain a Global Award in addition to their degree award.
Note Students have the option of graduating in Staffordshire University, UK.
Where Next ? Computing Science graduates are qualified to pursue careers in Application Professionals, Computer Users, and Software Houses. Some job titles for recent computing science graduates include: Web Designer, Software Engineer, IT Consultant, Systems Engineer, Application Programmer and IT Systems Analyst.