BSc (Hons) Business Information Technology
Course Length:3 yearsTuition Fees:Ghanaian Students: £1,000 per Semester International Students: £1,500 per SemesterCourse Start Date:January 2014Intakes:January, SeptemberLocation:Accra Campus
Introduction to a variety of IT aspects including Analysis, Design and Development of systems, Website Publishing and Hardware and Network Elements which is done during the first year. In the second year, one is taken through development of IT systems for business such as planning and forecasting, networking, databases and the web and human computer interaction. A one-year optional work experience module is also available to help students apply their ability in IT solutions. The final year emphasizes developing ones speciality.
The following categories of students are considered for admission:
- Holders of SSSCE/WASSCE with credit passes in Core English, Core Mathematics, Integrated Science and three (3) elective subjects relevant to the chosen programme with aggregate 24/36 or better.
- ‘O’ Level / ‘A’ Level holders with credits in at least five (5) subjects at the GCE ‘O’ Level (or its equivalent) including English and Mathematics, plus at least two (2) passes in the relevant subjects at the advanced level.
- Mature Applicants
- ‘O’ Level / ‘A’ Level applicants who have attained the age of 25 years or above at the time of applying and have credits in five (5) GCE ‘O’ Level subjects including English Language and Mathematics in addition to passing an Entrance Examination or interview.
- SSSCE / WASSCE who have credits in three (3) core subjects including English, Mathematics, Integrated Science plus three (3) electives relevant to the chosen programme.
- International Baccalaureate (IB) / Diploma
- Advanced Business Certificate Examination (ABCE) holders with passes in three (3) compulsory plus optional subjects relevant to the programme of study.
- Applicants with stage 1 of ACCA, ICA, Associates of Chartered Institute of Bankers (ACIB), Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) with credits at GBCE or GCE ‘O’ Level including English language and Mathematics.
- American Grade 12
- Foreign Applicants and all others who have any of the above qualifications or their equivalent from an accredited/recognized institution.
- City and Guilds Technician Diploma/Advanced Diploma in relevant area of study.
- Computer Systems Fundamentals
- Successful Study with Quantitative Tool for Computing
- Business Information Systems in Organisations
- Applied Software Development Life Cycles
- Digital Application Development
- Application Design and Development with PHP
- Network Computer Systems
- Strategic Information Systems Management
- Option Module
- Project Proposal and Professionalism
- Collaborative Group Project
- Contemporary Issues in IT
- Final Year Project
- Digital Interaction Design
- Database Administration and Management
- Enterprise Client-server Development with JSP
- Design of Corporate Communication Systems
- Developing Interactive Multimedia
How to Apply
- Application forms for admission can be obtained at the GTUC information centre Tesano – Accra, the Kumasi Campus near Ahodwo roundabout, Koforidua Campus Charley Junction, Ho Learning Centre Vodafone Regional Head Office, Takoradi Learning Centre Vodafone Regional Head Office, or downloaded here.
- Applicants should please note that application submitted will not be processed until the cost of application form of GH ¢110.00 is settled with banker’s draft from any bank.(fee includes Application Form and Verification processes)
- Completed application forms with certified copies of certificates/result slips should be submitted to the admissions office, GTUC Tesano – Accra, contact admissions office for application deadline.
Teaching & Learning
The teaching and learning procedure is meant to award educational aims. Modules are developed to suit the knowledge specification of students in other to stimulate growth in students in terms of self-management and independence. In the final year, students with supervision undertake a project in the study of their choice to enhance their career ambitions. It can also be seen that teaching and learning strategies facilitates development in students in terms of knowledge, skills and abilities. The lecturers in this context play the role of facilitators in the process, with the availability of online learning facility such as VLEs or Websites. Regular feedbacks are also given throughout the modules for students to ascertain their strengths and weaknesses.
What are the prospects for this programme ?
The BSc (Hon) degree in BIT aims at producing graduates who are equipped with the necessary technical skills that they need in the computing environment. Critical knowledge of discipline expertise is instilled in graduates in all levels of the degree. We aim at producing graduates who are enterprising and entrepreneurial to demonstrate professionalism in the computing work environment. Students are expected to research and propose an idea for a final year project. Once the idea is agreed with their project supervisor, the student will research and develop a suitable and practical artifact solution. With this knowledge and experience students gain independence of thoughts and a creative ability to find solutions to real problems, this goes a long way to suit employer specifications. The project also allows students to put into practice the skills and knowledge gained throughout the course from other modules and also to improve confidence and communication skills. Our awards are accredited by appropriate professional bodies in the computing industry. We encourage students to join a professional body to further understand the ethical issues within the industry.
Which institute issues out the certificate GTUC or Staffordshire?
Degree (Certificate) is given by Staffordshire University, UK
Is the programme accredited?
The degree is accredited by the British Computing Society (BCS) and by the Institute for the Management of Information Systems (IMIS)
Is the certificate internationally recognised ?
The degree is also accredited by the National Accreditation Board, Ghana
We equip students with efficient and appropriate IT knowledge to help them gain employment and also set up their own Business.
For any enquiries please contact:
Office of International Programmes
Telephone: 0302 200611, 2936201, 0202698226, 0202698339